We’re slowly marching up the ladder of notability, this year was a huge year for us. We had record number submissions, we were able to increase our staff and bring on readers. Each issue was reviewed one way or another. We crawling out of the shadow of obscurity and riding the coattails of our amazing writers.
We’re so thankful for the work we published this year. Each issue has meant so much to us.
The stories listed below are eligible in either the short story categories of the SF/F awards. We are not yet members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America so are unable to nominate ourselves. We’re always happy to send out our ebooks to any potential reviewers or nominators.
Short Stories (Under 5100 Words):
Issue 9: Experimentation
- The Redoubtables by Premee Mohamed (mentioned in Nerds of a Feather, Flock Together )
- One Song Ending by E.A. Petricone (mentioned in The Book Smugglers, Women to Read: February 2020 )
- Passavanti’s Fantasima by Julia August
- You Can Check Out Any Time You Like by Rhonda Eikamp (mentioned in My Weekly 5 – February 24, 2020 by Maria Haskins )
Issue 10: Transfiguration
- Possible Human Hearts by Lyndsie Manusos
- The Bear Wife by Leah Bobet (mentioned in Shiny Shorts: Second Chances and New Perspectives by AC Wise )
- The Order of Stolen Hearts by Xan van Rooyen
- What the Water Gave Her by Avra Margariti
Issue 11: Redemption
- Once Upon a Night by Sam Muller (mentioned in Locus Magazine: Karen Burnham Reviews Short Fiction: Strange Horizons, Future Tense, Apparition, Kasma, and Luna Station Quarterly )
- The Truth of a Lie by Jeff Reynolds
- Saying Sorry by Rebecca Fung (mentioned in Locus Magazine: Karen Burnham Reviews Short Fiction: Strange Horizons, Future Tense, Apparition, Kasma, and Luna Station Quarterly )
- The Limits of Magic by Samantha Mills (mentioned in My Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror Short Fiction Roundup – July 2020 by Maria Haskins and in Submit Your Stories Sunday: Apparition Lit by Jennifer Shelby )
Issue 12: Satisfaction
- A Bird Always Wants More Mangoes by Maria Dong (mentioned in Apparition Literary Magazine, Issue 12: Satisfaction (Review) by Jeff Reynolds and in Maria Dong’s 2020 Eligibility Post )
- Sunrise, Sunrise, Sunrise by Lauren Ring (mentioned in Apparition Literary Magazine, Issue 12: Satisfaction (Review) by Jeff Reynolds )
- The Gorgon’s Epitaphist by KT Bryski (mentioned in Apparition Literary Magazine, Issue 12: Satisfaction (Review) by Jeff Reynolds )
- You Do What You’re Told by J.A.W. McCarthy (mentioned in Apparition Literary Magazine, Issue 12: Satisfaction (Review) by Jeff Reynolds )
All our poetry can be nominated for the Rhysling Award. We’ve added the number of lines so you can confirm which are Long Poems or Short Poems.
Poetry (short and long form):
- At the Bleeding Edge by Lisa Timpf, Short, 21 lines
- Motes and Morsels by Dawn Vogel, Short, 20 lines
- Still by Rachel McKinley, Short, 45 lines
- All the Better by Jessica J. Horowitz, Short, 18 lines
- Cursebody by May Chong, Long, 50+ lines
- Posle Nas by Rosalie Morales Kearns, Short, 38 lines
- My Internal Advisor by Gabrielle Galchen, Short, 35 lines
- Dream Weaver by Blaize Kelly Strothers, Short, 32 lines
For 2020, we relied on the brilliance of our Managing Editor Tacoma Tomilson and began the new initiative of hiring Guest Editors. You can nominate the below for the Best Editor (Short Form) Hugo Award:
- Tiffany Morris, Guest Editor Issue 12: Satisfaction
- Tacoma Tomilson, Editor Issue 11: Redemption, Issue 10: Transfiguration, Issue 9: Experimentation
We also began commissioning Guest Essayists this year and have to mention that these essays are eligible for the Best Related Work Hugo Award.
- You are the Dream and the Dreamer by Aurelius Raines II
- Meandering Through Definitions of Satisfaction by Aline-Mwezi Niyonsenga
As a semi-pro magazine, we are eligible for the Best Semiprozine Hugo Award.
All our artwork is original. If you love what you’ve seen, please nominate these artists for Best Fan Artist Hugo Award:
- Kim Myatt, Artist for Issue 9: Experimentation
- Tijana Jankovic, Artist for Issue 10: Transfiguration
- Erika Hollice, Artist for Issue 11: Redemption
- Karina Serdyuk, Artist for Issue 12: Satisfaction